Friday, October 5, 2012

Doing It "Right"

As I write this first post of my first writing blog, I'm still unsure of whether I'm doing it "right." 

I call myself a writer, but I have never been published, and I haven't even written much in many years.  I've been one of those non-writing writers, suffering from a bad case of writer's block, or maybe a lack of confidence in my writing.  Nevertheless, I'm trying to write now.  This blog is just one such attempt to make this thing happen.

As the customary first post, I thought it fitting to talk about starting.  Everywhere I look there are lists of dos and don'ts from the best ways to get published to the number of spaces to use after a period.

My most recent trouble with all the well-intentioned advice about choosing a pen name.  I had various reasons for choosing one. My real last name makes me spit when I say it. I wanted something gender neutral. Apparently there are right and wrong reasons to choose one, though, and a method to choosing. It's almost scientific.

Like this, but a lot less useful.

I picked Lex Morgan, but I still wonder. Is it the "right" one?  I wanted something short, easy to remember, and easy to spell.  I've always liked the name Alex, but the sound of the 'a' at the beginning of the name bothered me.  Morgan is a stock name I've used for years. I even had two characters in my novel until I renamed them both.

All of these people used to be named Morgan.
This blog will contain a sundry of personal posts and fiction. I'm working on a novel series, so progress updates will be here, too.

So that's me. Hi. Hope we get to know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment